If my fiance just got sentenced in one state but is on parole in another, is there any way for him to get a concurrent sentence for time served?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The chances of your fiance' who just was sentenced for one offense in one given state but is on parole in another getting concurrent sentences for time served as to the two matters is pretty slim.

In fact, it may not be a good idea to even bring up the matter where he is on parole in another state for the simple fact that it may make a difficult situation worse where he could be deemed in violation of his parole with respect to the other matter he was convicted for.

I suggest that he consult with a criminal defense attorney regarding the situation he is in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.