If I’m going to be retiring in a few years from now but I have permanent alimony to pay, what can I do since I won’t be able to afford it?

Permanent alimony was awarded 9 years ago. The payment has never been delayed but with my retirement I won’t be able to pay what I am paying now.

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Family Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Alimony may be awarded if one spouse can show a need based on their income, expenses, etc. if the other party has an ability to pay their based on income, expenses, etc. However, once alimony is determined, even if it’s permanent alimony, it may be modified by the court. In such a case, the party seeking a change must show a substantial change in circumstance, such as a decrease/increase in income (by at least 15%), or an illness or other factors that may lead the court to believe that there is need to modify the existing order. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.