How do I track down my personal injury award?

I was involved in a car accident at age 2 or 3. My parents seem to not “remember” correct details of the accident. My brothers say there is a settlement that was $20,000 when I was just a few years old between 10-12 years ago. I don’t know how to go about finding it. It’s in a bank somewhere in Chicago. Can you help me start out the search?

Asked on February 11, 2013 under Personal Injury, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and track down the personal injury matter that your were involved in when you were young is to ask your parents where the lawsuit was filed and from there go down to the clerk's office and pull the file from archives. From there you will get the leg work where your money is placed in a blocked account since you are a minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.