If I slipped and fell on a miniature golf course, will I be able to get my medical costs covered as well as lost salary?

I reported the accident and they filed a report. I was trying to stop the ball from rolling into the pond when I fell, my back landed on a boulder and cut my elbows. Went to urgent care, had X-ray and a shot. My husband had to take half day off of work to care for our little kids. Luckily I didn’t break bones, but I suffer from stiff neck, headache, and sore back. Should I contact the miniature golf course for compensation?

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can certainly ask for compensation, but it is far from clear that the golf course would have to pay it. The golf course would be liable only if they are at fault. That typically means that they created or alloweed unsafe conditions. However, if there was nothing intrinsically unsafe about the golf course and you simply slipped or tripped, you are not entitled to compensation. Also, whenever anyone does any recreational activity, they assume  (or take) the normal risks of that activity--which on a minature golf course, could easily include that if you were to fall, you might fall on some of the minature landscaping. So unless there some unsafe condition--a broken board, a loose step, oil on the floor, etc.--it is likely you would have no cause of action or claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.