What to do regarding an arrest warrant notice that I received yesterday in the mail?

It was for a Bad check that I wrote in the ammount of $32.67. This check was written in Lexington SC on August 29, 1997. I will be contacting the Sheriffs Dept first thing on monday morning. I have absolutely no problem in paying the fees and the amount of the check. At what point dobad checks “go away”? I never expected to see this, not to mention I do not remember writing the check. It was been 15 years ago and I was 17 at the time.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you contact a criminal defense attorney first in that if the arrest warrant for you concerning the check that you wrote back in 1997 results from a filed criminal matter within the past 3 to 4 years then most likely the criminal action filed against you is barred by the statute of limitations of South Carolina.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.