If I moved into an apartment and I let my boyfriend stay with me but it wasn’t supposed to be permanent but now he won’t leave and I’m scared of him, what can I do?

Shortly thereafter I found out that he and his friends find women to live off of financially and use them until they are broke. I told him he needed to get his stuff and go. He refuses to leave. I’ve tried to tell him I’ll get a restraining order but he told me that would not work and proceeded to tell me he will not be the only one in pain. I’m scared of him. I don’t like to sleep around him I don’t like to be around him and I cannot even enjoy the comfort of my new home. How do I get him out?

Asked on November 18, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) If he has threatened you with violence, you should be able to get a restraining order, which may require him to leave. If he makes a credible enough threat, call the police immediately: threatening people with violence is itself a crime.
2) If he is not on the lease and is not subleasing from you, he is your guest; you may ask a guest to leave at any time; and if he does not leave when you ask, you can file an "ejectment action" in court to have him removed. He has no right to stay in your apartment when you no longer want him.
In a situation like this, you are advised to consult with an attorney immediately, about protecting your rights and interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.