What to do if my father filed unemployment while he was outside of the country?

I’m not sure he knew this was illegal. He does not speak English and I don’t know if he was able to read through the laws that the unemployment department has. He had to leave soon after he was laid off due to his mother’s passing. While he was overseas he applied for unemployment through the internet. He was in his native country for exactly 10 days. When he came back he called them to ask what was going on since he did not receive any payment and they told him that they tracked him trying to file for unemployment in another country. They asked him to send copies of his passport and until this date he doesn’t know what is going to happen.

Asked on February 2, 2013 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Some states consider filing while out of the country unemployment fraud and are going to great lengths to deal with those who file in those circumstances.  You see you can not claim benefits for the days that you are considered to be unavailable for work - on vacation or what ever.  You have to be ready, willing and able to take employment.  Your Father was not able since he was away.    What he should do is to speak with an unemployment specialist about possibly refiling the claim now that he has returned.  And I might speak with an attorney to help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.