If I got married 7 years ago and separated 3 years later but haven’t been able to file my divorce since I have no idea where my husband lives, what options do I have?

Asked on August 21, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can still proceed with the divorce, but you need to get permission from the court to serve your husband by a method called "service by publication."  This is basically where your husband is put on notice of the divorce via an advertisement in the newspaper.  Once that posting has been in the paper for a month or so, you can then proceed with your divorce action and get it finalized.  When you call an attorney, see if you can hire an attorney for the limited purpose of drafting you a motion for alternative posting. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.