If I have been dating my boyfriend for 9 months and he has been here with his visa and it is now expiring, will it be possible to get married so that he can stay here with me?

And have the same rights as me and not go through a big process? Just through lawyers?

Asked on October 27, 2015 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As long as your boyfriend entered the US lawfully and you are a US citizen, it does not matter when you get married.  He should be eligible to adjust status to permanent residence within the US on the basis of being a spouse of a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.