What to do if I filed a work-related expense report on my last day of employment but haven’t received a response or payment for these legitimate expenses?

Does my former employer have to pay me back?

Asked on August 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If these were expenses incurred for work, in the reasonable expectation that they would be reimbursed for example similar expenses were reimbursed previously, then yes, the employer should pay you back it could be viewed that due to your reasonable based on past conduct expectation of repayment upon which you relied to your detriment, they implicitly made an enforceable promise to reimburse you, which the courts will "estop" or stop them from denying this is called "promissory estoppel" and/or that there was, based on demonstrated conduct, an enforceable oral agreement to reimburse you for work expeneses you incured for their benefit so you'd sue for breach of an oral contract. If they will not voluntarily pay you, you could sue them for the money--for example, in small claims court, acting as your own attorney "pro se" to save money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.