What to do if you were unfairly sent to collections?

2 years ago I was living in the US and had to come back to my country and cancel my phone contract early; I was told that once you move abroad you don’t need to pay the early termination fee. So I just paid my last bill and left. Later that year I found out through my previous roommate my name was sent to a collection agency. I now assume that I have bad credit. I’m going back there next month and I was wondering if there’s any way this could be taken care of?

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to pull your credit report from the three credit agencies. You get three free credit reports each year. Pull them up and see if this has been sent to collections. If it has, it should show up by now on your credit report. If it has, file a dispute through your credit reporting agencies and let them investigate. You need to understand that moving abroad may not negate your cancellation fee. After you pull up your credit reports, make a general phone call to the phone company who was your service provider (do not give your name) and ask questions regarding cancellation fees on contracts if moving abroad. If the person says the fee is waived, then you need to give the company more information about your account and have the service provider fix this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.