What to do if I’m being harassed by an investigation if I co-signed for a bail bond but the defendant disappeared and stop attending court?

I have no idea where the defendant is and now a private investigator is constantly calling me reading the whereabouts of the defendant. The private investigator keeps asking me to meet up in person so he can ask me for more info. Do I have to cooperate to the private investigator and meet up in person and do everything they request of me? What rights do I have as a co-signed? I had told the investigator that I will call him if I find out anything. However, I feel like I’m getting harassed when I don’t even know where the defendant is.

Asked on February 9, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your duty is to tell the bonding company what you know and to pay whatever your contract required you to pay whatever your contract requires you to pay.  You did not sign on to be harrassed indefinitely.  Tell them what you know and them ask them to leave you alone.  If they persist, then hire an attorney to send a cease and desist letter for harassment. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.