If I am married to an illegal immigrant, what process I can take to help him become a citizen”

With all the new laws passed what steps can I take? He has been here since he was 3 year, however in high school, he got into some trouble and was charged with a felony; he was deported 8 years ago. He came back illegally and since then has no longer been involved with any trouble. We have 3 kids and got married through the court 3 years ago. He is the best dad to his kids. He worked at the same job for 7 years but now lost his job. What’s your advice to me? Can I apply for a resident’s card?

Asked on August 14, 2013 under Immigration Law, Texas


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. The laws have not been changed as yet. You would be wise to confer privately with an attorney and not post details on a public website. The attorney will be happy to help you. You may phone my law firm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays. Immigration and Visa law is federal law, so any knowledgeable licensed attorney may assist you. This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq.


Phone: 612-296-9666






Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello, there have not been too many changes to the laws. There currently many proposals. However, due to his deportation and re-entry, he is likely barred for 10 years. This Bar will apply if you filed a new case for him and then he goes and tries to process at the US Embassy. This would be required. Once he leaves, he will have the bar and cannot apply for a waiver of it because of the his immigration history.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.