If I’m from the Ukraine and have been dating an American citizen for a year, will there be any consequences if I visit him again with my tourist visa and we get married in a few months?

He visited me in the Ukraine and I visited him in the US. Currently, I am in the Ukraine but have a valid tourist visa.

Asked on August 23, 2015 under Immigration Law, Oregon


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can visit him with your tourist visa however you cannot travel to the US with a tourist visa if your intention is to get married.  If that is the case you should discuss your situation with an immigration attorney to better understand your options for the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.