If I’m currently a green card holder, can I be held to an employment agreement if I got my green card through my husband and not them?

I got my green card through my husband. Before that I was working on an H1B visa. I have an agreement with my employer for 3 years. It says that if I terminate my employment before 3 years, I will need to pay them X amount. Since I have a green card now through my husband, not through my employer, should that agreement be still valid? I have one more year to go as per that agreement.

Asked on February 16, 2015 under Immigration Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless the agreement specifically says that you only have to repay them if you obtain your green card through the employer, then yes, you can be held to the agreement. If the agreement does not reference the green card, then how you obtained the card has no bearing on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.