What to do if f I’m a witness in a leaving the scene of a homicide incident but I’m not a citizen and will be leaving to return to my home country?

I am not a US citizen and am going back to my home country in 1 month. what should i do? Can I just leave without fear of future consequences if I am not present when court goes to trial? Should i inform somebody about my departure? I will not be returning soon to the US again but will keep coming back from time to time. It has been more than 11 months since the incident.

Asked on November 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You really should inform the police because a) this was a homicide and the victim deserves at least one eye witness to bring the perpretrator to justice and b) your departure could be construed as a crime and obstruction of justice and could c) impact your ability to travel back to this country. Talk to private counsel who will then represent you when speaking with police and prosecution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.