If I’m a LPR and I have brought my kids to the US but have not brought my spouse yet as she does not want to come, how can I drop her from my case as she is still not a resident has nor she entered the US?

Also, if I could be guided on I marry someone else in US?

Asked on September 7, 2015 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Why do you need to drop her from the case?  If she does not want to come she does not want to come but there is no impact on the case if her name is still attached to the case.  However, if you want to marry someone else you must first obtain a legal divorce from your spouse as you cannot be married to two people at the same time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.