If I’m 16, how can I divorce my dad because he is a convicted child abuser and I was one of his victims?

I just want to divorce him, not my mom. My parents are divorced and I really just want him out of my life.

Asked on December 2, 2015 under Family Law, Washington


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It's not actually called a divorce... but you can take steps, with the assistance of an adult or an attorney... to achieve a similar objective.  You can seek to have his rights restricted or terminated as to you, especially since you were one of his victims.  You can also seek to be emancipated from him.  The first angle is actually easier than emancipation.  Look to victim programs in your area to find out what resources are available to your or your mom within your jurisdiction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.