Can an international student attending a US institution apply for residency?

I am currently an online student with a US-based university and will be for the next five years with three years already completed.

Asked on November 11, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is no basis to apply for permanent residence just because you've been a student, regardless of whether it is online or in person.  You have to be petitioned for permanent residence, either by a US employer on the basis of a valid job offer or by a qualifying family relative.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.