What to do if I want to transfer my federal probation from one state to another so that I can be with my girlfriend?

I was found to be in intentional breach of a lawful child support order for an abducted child but that is the way it is. I am on SSDI, so I have support, and a fasmily there. Also, my current PO is a nut. If I move my residence to a nearby city I may get a more reasonable PO in the same federal district. What can I do?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In order for you to transfer your federal probation status from one state in this country to another, you will be required to file a petition with the federal court where you were convicted with respect to the case where the conviction happened seeking the relief you want.

You will need to state with specificity the reasons for the desired change of probation and have evidence presented supporting your position. Given the compexity of such a request it is suggested that you retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you in getting the desired petition filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.