If a few weeks ago I was in a fender-bender while driving a company owned car, can my employer withhold paychecks or money from paychecks?

It was my fault. I was told that all I might need to pay is the deductible. However, the owner of the company wants me to pay for the repairs to the other vehicle despite that fact that the cab company is insured. Am I legally required to pay these cost’s? I need to know exactly what my rights and obligations are in this matter. Could you please give me some information regarding this matter?

Asked on March 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are not responsible for paying for the damage / cost of repairs to the other car or paying the deductible.

Your employer is liable for the accident because your employer is the registered owner of the vehicle you were driving.  The matter should be referred to your employer's auto insurance company which will pay for the property damage to the vehicle of the party who was not at fault in the accident.

Your employer cannot withhold your pay.  If that occurs, it would be advisable to speak with an employment law attorney regarding filing a lawsuit against your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.