If my car was stolen and recovered 6 weeks ago but my insurer still won’t fix it stating that there’s no visible damage, what can I do if there is now no power steering?

I bought the car 3 months ago and have the dealership’s 100 point inspection stating that it was perfectly fine. Today I have a paper from the same dealership stating that the car is broken, however my insurer keeps asking for more information. What can I do?

Asked on February 2, 2016 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the car isn't safe to drive, have it fixed, submit the invoice to your insurer, and then sue them for the money, if necessary--you don't want to put your life or other people in jeopardy, and would face legal (possibly even criminal liability) if you knowingly drive an unsafe car and injure another or damage someone else's property. So making the car drivable--unless you have another vehicle and can afford to have this one out of commission--is your first priority. But once that's taken care of, if you believe the insurer should have paid under the terms of your policy, you can sue them for breach of contract--an insurance policy is a contract, and so the insurer's obligations are enforceable in a court of law.
If the car is safe to drive, or you don't need this car right now, provide the extra information and try to resolve amicably with your insurer; but if you can't, again, you can sue them for breach of contract if you believe they should have paid, but refused.
If you end up suing, if the amount at stake is less than the maximum for your small claims court, suing in small claims, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") is a very good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.