If I am a Canadian citizen and currently have a 10 year bar for overstaying my visa, can I still fly into the US for just a stopover?

I am planning a trip to Mexico. Do I have to fly direct?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to transit through the US as long as you do not go through immigration but it would be best for you to discuss this and your specific circumstances with an immigration attorney and also to find out from the airline whether you would be transiting through the US or leaving the terminal to change flights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.