What is a landlord’s obligation to notify a tenant that they need a permit to park their vehicle?

I live in a student housing next to my school. The apartments that I moved into failed to notify me that I needed a permit to park my vehicle in the apartments lot. It does say in the contract that I needed a permit but I did not read the contract. Being as I live in a dorm style apartment the notice on my door got quickly tossed in the garbage before i got a chance to look it over. the notice stated that all residents needed a parking pass to park. This is the offices only way of informing the new residents that they need a permit to park. Is there anything I can do? Also is there any law that states that my apartments needed to inform me of this when I signed the contract?

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a landlord is required to advise all potential tenants of a desired unit to rent of all matters affecting price paid or desirability. From what you have written, you were advised of the need for a permit for the parking lot because the lease contract states so.

Under the laws of all states in this country a party is presumed to have read and understood a document that he or she has signed absent fraud.

I suggest that you get the needed permit and parking pass to rectify the matter you are in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.