HEY,I FILE CH7 4 YEARS AGO AND WAS DISCHARGED,NOW I need to file ch13 if I loss my job can my ch 13 still be converted to ch 7

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A person can only file eight years after the discharge of a previous chapter 7, four years after the completion of a chapter 13. 

A Chapter 13 can sometimes be converted to a Chapter 7 in the event of a change in income; for example a job loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.