Can I get a refund for inadequate dental care?

I had 3 cavities that needed to be filled, but three times the fillings fell out. Each time he re-did them for free. I finally went to anther dentist and they are fine. The new dentist said that the previous dentist was not agressive enough with the drilling because he did not anesthesize. Do I have grounds to get a refund from the original dentist?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Malpractice Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems that you have a factual and even a legal basis to contact your former dentist about the poor fill of your cavities and request a refund. Send a confirming letter as well keeping a copy of it for future use and need. If you do not get the response you want, your option is small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.