What am I entitled to if assisting in the sale of a property?

A property owner has a listing with an agent, who has not made any effort to even show the property, and now has asked me to assist him in finding potential buyers and be available to show the property (I am located close to the property). What obligation do I have to the listing agent and how would I be paid from the sale? Additional info, I am not a realtor, they owner is a client of mine in my consulting office. If need be, I have a colleague who is a licensed agent willing to step in.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.  If you are not a licensed real estate agent, you need to not act like one.  You can't "show" a property other than your own unless you are a licensed agent.  Have your friend who is an agent step in and help out the listing agent.  They will work out what kind of fee is owed.  They can even possibly give you some sort of compensation for the referral, but you can't show the property and find buyers without a license.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.