Help with MA DMV Hearing…

Briefly-2003-husband arrested in NH for DUI-lost license (NH) for 18 months, ordered to attend treatment program2005-husband attempts to have license reinstated, is told by NH DMV there is an issue with MA. Went to MA DMV, they claim he had a prior DUI that was not served. However, there is a error in their records as he had 2 DUI’s from the same time period which should have been grouped together…time served concurrently…this was an agreement worked out by his lawyer.2008-husband had hearing for arrest 12/24/07 for driving under suspension. Hired a lawyer who found an error in original 2003 arrest, basically reduced the charge to driving without his license in his possession.Still does not have his license. We are currently separated, he is living in MA with his elderly parents and could really benefit from having his license to help them out.We have very little money. We were forced to file bankruptcy last year. We are losing our home to foreclosure. He is on SSDI, so he has limited income. Is there any legal assistance available to him?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, New Hampshire


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot afford an attorney, you can seek the assistance of legal aid services. Here are several websites that can help you find legal aid services in Massachusetts:


You can also call the Legal Advocacy and Resource Center ( at (617) 603-1700; or toll-free, at (800) 342-LAWS, or the MBA Lawyer Referral Service at (617) 654-0400 or (866) 627-7577 for the contact information for legal services offices in your location.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.