What to do if my husband decided to leave me and our children andI don’t work?

I have 2 children by my husband; he left today. I have no money as we live paycheck-to-paycheck. How do I insure he pay the bills or do I start packing? I have nowhere to go and no money. Am I screwed?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Family Law, Nevada


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You have two different types of relief.  The first, and probably most pressing issue, is where to live.  Many churches, relief organizations, or legal aid organizations can direct you where to get and how to apply for housing and living assistance until your legal options are in full gear.  That's your initial crisis.  Once you get past this issue, then you need to focus on filing for divorce-- which appears to be the direction that your husband would like to go as well.  While the divorce is pending, you can ask the court to put orders in effect that will require your husband to pay child support.  Child support can range from $100-800 per month, per child.  How much he will be required to pay will depend on his income.  In addition to child support, you can also ask the court to consider granting you marital support.  Nevada does have provisions for marital support when one spouse had a significant wage-earning disadvantage.  These two types of support won't necessarily make you wealthy, but they will give you some support for you and your kids. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.