What to do if my 89 year old grandmother told me to take over her home because she not able to keep it up?

I’m her power of attorney. She does not have a mortage now she has someone staying in the house who does not pay her rent. It needs fixing. How can I go about doing this? She has another house but has a mortage on that. The house in question, is worth $69.000. How can I get a moratage and fix this house up? I need to know what and how it’s going to effect me tax wise. This is my first time everydoing anything like this.

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In order to safeguard your  and your grandmother's interests I suggest that both of you meet with a real estate attorney to acomplish your grandmother's goals. One way is a buy sell agreement between you two where you pay a set amount secured by a mortgage evidenced by a promissory note. Your grandmother can gift you $13,500 per year tax free off of the note. From that you can hopefully get a line of credit for the home to make the needed repairs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.