What are my rights regarding a confidentiality agreement that my employer wants us to sign?

My employer decided to issue a confidentiality agreement to the staff after a new employee quit without notice because he found out some “confidential” information about the company. The agreement is based on a standard template popularly found online but I have questions about its legality because it was modified to include a clause that does not pertain to company privacy. One of the points included in the agreement is that employees are required to give a 2-3 weeks notice before quitting a position; this has nothing to do with confidentiality.

Asked on August 3, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract or union agreement that releases you from having to sign this type of document? Does company policy afford you any protection? Does making you sign constitute some from of actionable discriminatation? If you can answer no to all of the foregoing, then you either sign the agreement or face possible termintion (in fact an employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all).

The fact is, employers can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as they see fit. This is called "at will" employment". An employee can either agree to be bound buy those terms or conditions, quit or face dismissal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.