What can I do if over the weekend I was being stupid and got arrested for malicious damage to a motor vehicle, “RSP” and larceny?

This is the first time I have gotten in any trouble with the law and I am a college student with wonderful grades. I plan on going to medical school and don’t want this stupid choice to effect my future. I go to court tuesday and was wondering what I should do in court (what to say, what to plead, etc.) in order to get this resolved and hopefully get the most lenient punishment possible? I was visiting my brother at college out of state.

Asked on March 10, 2013 under Criminal Law, New Hampshire


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to immediately retain the services of an experienced attorney.  The arrest is already on your record.  An experienced attorney may be able to negotiate a dismissal in your case with possible expungement of the arrest.  Institutes of higher learning, more and more, are conducting background checks on applicants.  Thus, it would be very much in your best interest to retain the services of an attorney to assist you in this matter.

Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. I urge you with no delay to seek private attorney assistance and counsel.  The matter is certainly very serious and may negatively affect your future for years and years.  I recommend you telephone several attorneys and speak by phone a little before choosing, because it is critically important that you feel a sense of great safety and trust.  All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.