What can I do if, on several occasions, people from my school were in my house and stolen things from me that have sentimental value?

I have asked for it back several times but they refuse to return it. One person even stole my underwear for their own “personal use” which makes me feel very attacked. By law, am I allowed to sue them on any grounds for the harassment?

Asked on September 20, 2015 under Personal Injury


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1 Contact the police theft is a crime, after all. You can file a police report and press charges. 
2 You can sue for the return of the items. You can either file an action specifically seeking the return of those items, or more simply, because it's easier to sue for money than for a court order, which is what you'd need to get the items themselves back for the monetary value of the items in, say, small claims court, acting as your own attorney "pro se". That matter could then be settled by the return of the items.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.