What to do if my wife was in an accident and prematurely settled with the other driver’s insurance company for $1500?

She has since received new medical bills from the hospital. Is there any way she can get them to pay those bills and have the claim re-opened or is it too late; it’s only been 45 days since she settled?

Asked on May 30, 2014 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Review the terms of the settlement agreement. If that agreement states it is in full satisfaction of all claims arising out of the incident or anything to that effect, then you most likely cannot sue or otherwise re-open the matter; in that case, you would have contracted away, in exchange for the settlement payment, your right to sue or take action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.