What to do if my wife passed away about 9 months ago and I do not know how to change the deed to the propery our house is on?

The land is only in her name. The house is in both our names. The property is willed to me. What do I need to do to get all of this to my name only. If I sold it in the future all would have to be in my name only.

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If there is a Will leaving you the land then there is also a named executor in there as well.  That person - whom I am assuming is you - will file a petition to be appointed as the executor of the estate.  Once that happens then you can indeed transfer the property through executor's deed, subject to the requirements of notifying creditors, etc. about the probate.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.