If my father is no longer competent, is there some way for me to take over his mortgage?

He is unable to maintain the property.

Asked on July 26, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't take over the mortage unless the lender lets you, and they are unlikely to do so...lenders today tend to not let one party take over another's mortgage. However, you can:

1) Simply make payments for him if you like--the lender doesn't care where the money comes from.

2) If you have broad POA, including authority over his property and accounts, you could pay the mortgage from his funds... or potentially sell the property to yourself in a favorable transaction.

3) If there is no current POA, but you father is not competent, you should petition the court to have yourself appointed as his guardian--once you are, you can do the things described above in 2). Speak with an elder law attorney about how to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.