Do I have a right to see a copy of my grandfather’s Will?

I am 19 years old and my grandfather passed away when I was around the age of 5. He was one of the vice presidents of a major US corporation. As far as I know, my mother signed over all of her assets and my father was told I was left something when I turned a certain age. I also heard that grandfather never updated his Will and that I was not in it. I do not have contact with his wife (my step-grandmother) so there really isn’t any “asking” her. I just want to know if there is anyway I can see his Will regardless if I have anything left to me or not, or if anything is being held from me.

Asked on July 13, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your Grandfather had a Will and his estate went through the probate process, a copy of the Will would have been sent to the beneficiaries and those who would have inherited had there been no Will.  So your parents - as your guardians - should have gotten a copy.  Now, once a Will is filed for probate it becomes a public record and you can go to the county in which it was filed to see it and what happened in the probate (i.e., if there was an account set up for you, etc.). It was a long time ago and it could be archived or on microfilm. But it should be available to see.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.