What can I do if my student visa is expiring?

I am currently on my F-1 visa which expires in 7 months. I am currently doing my CPT since my H1-B didn’t get selected in the lottery process and my OPT expired this month. I was informed that if a student visa has validity of less than 6 months, you need to go for stamping. Will I have to go for stamping? Since my visa still has my old university name on it, will I have to go for stamping to get the new university name stamped on it?

Asked on November 24, 2015 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You would have to go for stamping only if you are going outside the US.  If you are in the US, you do not need to go for any stamping.  Your stay in the US is authorized by the I-94 and not by the visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.