What to do if my fiance’s boss threatened to beat him up and vandalize his personal vehicle over a minor accident on the job that was not his fault?

Should he call the police and/or hire lawyer? And can he apply for unemployment?

Asked on March 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if threatened with property destruction or violence, he should contact the police.

However, if he quits due to a credible threat, he *may* be able to collect unmployment, but can't count on it--sometimes, the labor dept. and the relevant review board gets very rigid about the notion that if someone quits, even for a good reason, he can't get unemployment. That's not to say he shouldn't apply, or that there's not a reasonable chance he'd get it; just that unfortunately, it's not a given or guaranty that he'd get unemployment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.