If my father has completely stopped paying my mother court ordered maintenance, and has moved out of state, is there is anything she can do?

He stopped paying over a year ago.

Asked on October 30, 2015 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Not necessarily true: a legal action can be brought against him in any state (i.e. whatever state he resides in) to enforce the court order, because all U.S. states will enforce orders from the courts of all other states. That said, it is certainly more expensive and complicated to bring a legal action in another state, and if your father still refuses to pay even after being ordered by the courts of his new home state, you'd have to go to collections actions and/or hope that he relents if he is found in contempt of court, and following up to the money will itself cost more time and money. It is possible that--especially if he has little income or few assets, or has only a cash-based income which is difficult to document--that it would not be worth the cost to pursue him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.