Hello~My 17 year old was a pass. in a car that was stopped for speeding in N.H. He had in his possession marijuana. He has a court date in June.

My question is: should we go to court and plead guilty, no contest, or not guilty or does it even matter? Also, because he is a juvenile would his record be sealed when he reaches 18? One last question, when they arrested him, I did not receive a phone call. He is 17, don’t they have to inform the parents? Sorry about so many questions. I really would appreciate any input that you could provide.thank you,JC

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your son's plea matters.  By no means should you have a cavalier attitude towards entering a plea.  A guilty plea is, in most cases, permanent, and may result in unforseen consequences for your son despite the possibility that his file may be sealed as a result of his age.  I highly recommend that you consult and/or retain a skilled criminal defense attorney prior to your son's court date.  Upon reviewing your son's file, a defense attorney may identify ways for the charges to be thrown out (i.e. dismissed, nolled, or resolved with a "not guilty" verdict), rather than entering a guilty plea. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.