If I’m 33 and live in the US under a J1 visa, is it possible for me to open a small business and stay here?

It will end in 11 months. I am a Belgian and Moroccan citizen and am planning to open a business here to import product from Morocco and sell them here. I already have a business bank account here but no EIN but I do have an ID and SSN..

Asked on September 18, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are in the US in J-1 status, you are only authorized to do what is encompassed in your J-1 course of study/research/work.  You are not able to derive income from any other source while in that status.  If you want to open a business in the US, you can do that but you are not permitted to receive any income from that business while in J-1 status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.