If I was charged with a misdemeanor 4 years ago, what’s the best way to go about this to have it expunged from my record?

I was charged with a misdemeanor for marijuana possession and drug paraphanelia. At th time I was 21 and now I’m applying for nursing school but this has hindered my progress.

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Were you charged with a misdemeanor four (4) years ago and convicted of the crime or only charged and the criminal action was dismissed? If only charged and the criminal complaint was dismissed there is no criminal conviction to expunge as a matter of law. You would then need to file a petition to "seal" the action against you.

If convicted of a misdemeanor, then you can file a petition to expunge the convicition and seal the court file. To do this, you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney to see what the chances of success are and the costs for the desired petitions. Not every petition to seal and/or expunge is granted by the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.