Can I apply for permanent residency with my student F1 visa?

Asked on July 17, 2014 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you mean permanent residence, no, you cannot, unless you have a qualifying underlying petition, which can be employment-based or family-based.  If you have an employer giving you a fulltime permanent offer of employment or a qualifying relative, such as a parent, child, spouse or sibling, then you have a basis for permanent residence once the underlying petition is approved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.