Is there a statue of limitation for filing a civil suit against someone who owes me $800?

My great grandmother died 12 years ago. In her Will she left all of the grandchildren $800. My uncle was in charge of dispersing the money. There were 3 grandchildren who owed her money; I’m not sure how much but she never stated in the Will to take any money owed to her away from us. So, can I still sue him for the money that he never paid me?

Asked on July 16, 2014 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Every state has its own time limits regarding the statute of limitations. They even vary within the same state according to the type of claim; for example breach of contract versus personal injury. However, in virtually all states the S/L would have expired on such a claim as this. For further information, you can contact a local attorney who will be familar with the exact S/L in the state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.