If I was recently on vacation out of state and picked up a criminal citation for small possession of marijuana with paraphernalia. can it be handled out of court?

The court date is set for next month which will be almost impossible for me to make seeing as to how I work part time and take classes. I am 22 years old and springing for a lawyer is also unaffordable. This is my first criminal offense and I am just seeking some advice on this matter maybe it could be resolved out of court.

Asked on September 1, 2013 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will need to personally show up in court to resolve the matter against you unless you are simply to pay a fine. The issue is whether you have the option to pay the fine and not show up in court or if you have to. I suggest that if you cannot afford an attorney that you contaxt the public defender's office where the case is venued or your local legal aid office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.