What to do if I was caught shoplifting?

This is the first time I have ever been in trouble for anything. I am wondering how hard it is to get a petty theft reduced down so I do not get this on my record? So I am unsure if the laws very by state? Is this something I can do on my own or should I get a lawyer? I was arrested on the 19th of this month and go to court on the 29th. Can anyone give me some insight on what happen on the 29th?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense lawyer to represent you as to your petty theft charge. Since this is your first offense and assuming the court system where the matter is venued has a diversion program, if you qualify for it and accomplish its terms and conditions, the charge against you in the end may be dismissed without a criminal conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.