If I went out to eat at a restaurant but the waiter spilled hot soup on me and I got burned plus my pants were ruined, what can I do?

Asked on July 20, 2015 under Personal Injury, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the restaurant will not voluntarily provide compensation, you could sue them for your actual out-of-pocket medical bills and the cost to replace your pants; however, it is not clear (unless you had large medical bills) whether it would be economically worthwhile to sue, even in small claims court, for these amounts. If you don't have large medical bills, or had *expensive* property damage, lawsuits like this rarely make sense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.