If I recently found out that I’m making less than what I should be according to the pay scale at my job, is my employer legally required to give me back pay?

They are currently fixing the issue by raising my wages to the correct amount.

Asked on October 14, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they are not required to pay the "back pay" unless you had a written contract including a union or collective bargaining contract governing your employment which requires you to be paid in accordance with the pay scale.  If you have a contract, you could sue for breach of contract to get the back pay though since suing your employer is a drastic step, it's not necessarily worthwhile doing so.
Otherwise, without a contract, there is no obligation for the employer to pay you as per the pay scale--that's simply their voluntary, unilateral internal policy. And the law does not enforce non-contractual employer policies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.