What to do if my minor son was arressted for possession and being under the influence?

My 17 year old son was arrested last night. I wasn’t notified until more than 2 hours after his arrest; he was already booked into the jail. All I was told was that he was arrested for being under the influence (of what I was not told) and possession ( again I was not told what he was in possession of, even though I did ask the officer). I immediately went to the sheriff’s department to put money on his phone account so that he could call me and tell me what in the world was going on. I made certain to leave the receipt with the officer at the window, as she told me she would let him know right away. It is now more than 24 hours after he was arrested and he still has not been allowed to call. My parents did try to visit.

Asked on February 3, 2013 under Criminal Law, Wyoming


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

So I think that it is time that you hired an attorney to go down there and get him arraigned - brought before a Judge to answer the charges on the record, set bail and get him home.  Then you need to figure out a strategy with the attorney once, of course, you know what the charges actually are.  Being charged as a minor is a plus record wise.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.